Thursday, January 21, 2010

Sharing our Story of Grace Marie

On January 10, 2010, we celebrated Grace Marie's 7th birthday.   She had a fun celebration with a group of 1st grade friends at a local Pottery studio in town.     It is hard for me to conceptualize the fact that my story of Grace started over 7 years ago.    She is the youngest of our five children and life since her birth has been - well should I say - quite full!     The importance of her birth story lives on, however, and with her entry into full-time school - I have taken on a personal mission to widely share her story.

About 1 week before school started in September, I started discussing with my husband Patrick ideas for my "life" now that my kids were returning to school.   Patrick immediately encouraged me to take on the task of sharing Grace's story.   Coincidentally, a day later, I received a phone call from the director of a Benefit for Life Charity asking me if we would keynote speak about Grace at their fall event.   My heart raced fast as I accepted - trying to ignore my very real fear of public speaking.   I knew it was a calling and something that I have been longing to do for a few years.    I had never publicly spoken about our story, other than as a volunteer speaker at a few small school events.

The next several months were spent in dusting off the details of my fall 2002 pregnancy and birth of Grace in January 2003.   It was a very emotional journey and a thrilling hunt of all details releasing some indescribable emotions.    The letters, journals, doctors notes, cards, pictures, and video made it feel so real to me again as if were happening for the first time.    My speech was delivered on November 12th, 2009.   Dave LewAllen, a newscaster from our local ABC affiliate, spoke first about a news story he did in 2003 about the miracle of Grace's Birth.   Patrick then did a wonderful introduction to the story.   I was thankfully very prepared.    I was completely humbled and overwhelmed by the positive response that I received.     There was not a dry-eye in the room and I was shocked at the end with a standing ovation.

Since that time, I have come to realize fully the significance of our Story of Grace Marie and have decided to widely share the intimate details.     I have had our story including in the book "Defiant Birth", but I now feel that it is important to preserve the details of her story in my own book - which I have started to write.   I will share details of this writing journey on this blog.

Yesterday, we filmed an updated News story that will air this Monday on the 11:00 news.   I will try to post the promo clip.

My future posts in the next few weeks will include a written copy of my speech, a clip of the original news story that aired in 2003, and the follow up news story.    Thanks for visiting my blog!

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I saw your story on the news tonight, and it made me think of my best friend growing up. Her mom had lots of miscarriages, and the DRs did tests and said her baby would never make it, she should abort, if the baby was born, she would be badly deformed... she could not bring herself to do it, and had the baby.. you want to know the deformity ? She was born with long hair . They had to get baby shampoo, and she was big (looked like she was a couple months old). So, I commend you for following your heart, Miracles happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sandi, I was so happy last night to see my little Gracie. We have lost touch since I moved to Brownstown. Yes, it's me Gracie's nurse Sylvia from Hutzel. She has been on my mind since she came into this world I will never forget her. When I heard it on the commercial I turned and said to my husband, " that's my baby, I know it is". I stayed up to watch and there she was just as pretty and wonderful as I knew she would be. I could not stop crying tears of joy, my heart was so full. I still would like to meet her some day and see you guy's again to. She has always been the miracle in my life. God Bless you. Sylvia Cox RNC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sandi, It's amazing how your story made it to the public eye. Two years ago, I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. 3 weeks before delivery I was told he was going to be of short stature, most likely Achondroplasia Dwarfism. I would love to follow your blog and invite you to follow mine. Your daughter and my husband share the same birthday and I have a six year old daughter. Grace is such a beautiful girl! You are so lucky to have a precious gem like her. We are located in New Haven, MI. Here's our link
    http://nathanedwardwolf.blogspot.com
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I just saw your story of your little girl on youtube and I couldnt stop crying. When my sister was 20 weeks pregnant they told us that her little girl has Lethal Skeletal Dysplasia, and also strongly advised us to abort. Now my sister is 34 weeks pregnant and her little baby is still growing. Shes small only weighing 3lbs 7oz right now but shes a fighter and seeing your story gives me hope that she will make it. Thank You So Much
    God Bless You and Your Family,
    Sincerly
    Cassie

    ReplyDelete